YOU MUST HAVE CANS FOR RECYCLING! This is a requirement. You are no longer allowed to have your recycling in a bag, as requirements for recycling have changed.
If your recycling is in a bag, as of January 1st, it will be rejected. These requirements are beyond the local level. Bags are not recyclable, believe it or not. In addition, we don’t know what is inside the bags, therefore, it’s difficult to tell if the items you placed in the bag are actually recyclables. The Borough will once again work on a grant for recycling cans in 2019, however, at this time, we do not have cans to provide you. You will be responsible for your own can. Please make sure that your recycling can is clearly marked “RECYCLING” on it. All of the recyclables are commingled, so that you do not need to separate the items.
What YOU Can Do To Assist Recycling Efforts in Our Borough
- Recycle all bottles, cans, and paper.
- Please remove the caps from your plastic bottles before putting both in the recycling bin, these are recycled separately.
- To Avoid Contamination – please wash out all containers with leftover liquid or food. Contamination in the waste stream is a major problem and complicates recycling efforts.
- Paper Recycling - please avoid recycling shredded paper. Shredded paper is NOT accepted through single-stream recycling (instead, consider composting shredded paper.) DO NOT put plastic bags full of shredded paper into your recycling bin.
- Recycle Plastics labeled #1 – #7. For more information, refer to https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/plastics-by-the-numbers/
- Don’t mix plastic grocery bags in with the rest of your recycled items. We recommend taking your bags to Weis or Giant supermarkets for recycling.
- Place your recycling in a clearly marked can only. If you need a RECYCLING sticker, please come to borough hall to pick one up. (Do not place your recycling in large clear plastic bags.)
- Breakdown cardboard and place it into the largest box, this will help our hauler with more efficient pickups.
- Large bulk item pick-up - please contact Whitetail Disposal Inc. directly at 610.754.0103 for all large bulk items such as sofas and mattresses.
Here is a list of items:
- Aluminum food and beverage containers
- Glass food and beverage containers—brown, clear, or green
- Ferrous (Iron) cans
- PET plastic containers with the symbol #1—with screw tops only, without caps
- HDPE natural plastic containers with the symbol #2—narrow neck containers only (milk and water bottles
- HDPE pigmented plastic containers with the symbol #2—narrow neck containers only, without caps (detergent, shampoo bottles, etc.)
- Plastics with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, #7—narrow and screw top containers
- Corrugated cardboard
- Cereal boxes
- Telephone books
- Printer paper
- Copier paper
- All other office paper without wax liners
Please DO NOT recycle the following:
- Propane bottles
- Rubber hoses
- Fluorescent lightbulbs
- Plastic flower pots
- Plastic kids’ toys
- Yard debris
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Food Waste
- Toner cartridges
- Food containers
- All Styrofoam products
Lehigh County no longer offers Household Hazardous Waste collection events. You can, however, contact them at (610)782-3000 for information on alternative safe disposal methods. They will also provide you with contact information for commercial entities who specialize in the safe disposal of these items for a fee.