Refuse and Recycling
Whitetail Disposal provides weekly curbside service for the Borough of Emmaus.
What day do I place my refuse and recycling out at my residence?
What happens to my refuse and recycling pickup when there is a holiday? or inclement weather?
What should I do if I have a large item or a bulk pickup?
How can I pay my Quarterly Refuse Collection Assessment?
Holiday Schedule 2022 –
*Please place materials curbside the night prior to your service day so Whitetail Disposal can guarantee collection
January 1st – New Year’s Day: NO DELAY, Whitetail Disposal will be operating on a REGULAR SCHEDULE.
May 30th – Memorial Day: NO DELAY, Whitetail Disposal will be operating on a REGULAR SCHEDULE.
July 4th – Independence Day: NO DELAY, Whitetail Disposal will be operating on a REGULAR SCHEDULE.
September 5th – Labor Day: NO DELAY, Whitetail Disposal will be operating on a REGULAR SCHEDULE.
November 24th – Thanksgiving Day:
Whitetail Disposal will be closed Thanksgiving. Thursday and Friday service days will be delayed by one day. Normal Thursday service will occur on Friday, and normal Friday service will occur on Saturday. * Wednesday service day will remain unaffected. *
December 25th – Christmas Day: NO DELAY, Whitetail Disposal will be operating on a REGULAR SCHEDULE.
Refuse and recycling will be collected one time per week. It will be spread out over three days. Depending on where you live, your refuse and recycling will be picked up on either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Please make sure your cans are at the curb the night before your pick-up date. Collection of refuse and recycling can begin as early as 4:00 am on your pick up day. Anything not out to the curb when the collection trucks come through will have to be held until the following week’s pick up. Please email email@example.com or call 610-754-0103, option 2 with any questions or concerns.
The basics to keep in mind are as follows:
- RED ROUTE – South of Main Street or Chestnut Street, collection day is Wednesday.
- BLUE ROUTE – North Side of Harrison or north, Stryer Section, collection day is Thursday.
- GREEN ROUTE – From Chestnut Street north including the South Side of Harrison Street, from State Road to Cedar Crest Boulevard, and anywhere in between, collection day is Friday.
In the case of a weather event, your service day will occur on the following day.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns on bulk items and pick up or call 610-754-0103, option 2.
- To arrange a pickup contact Whitetail Disposal no less than 24 hours PRIOR to your regular pick up day. Identify yourself as a Borough of Emmaus resident. WD will instruct you on collection of your item(s).
- Each Bulk item is limited to no more than 70 LBS.
- Construction materials will NOT be collected.
- Appliances containing Freon will NOT be collected.
Single Stream Recycling—The Borough adopted an expanded list of recyclables that will no longer need to be separated. The following list includes many types of items that were not previously recycled. In addition, you will no longer need to use Borough issued recycling containers. You can simply use a regular garbage can and place all recyclable items into the same can. You must use a marker or other labeling method to identify the container as holding recyclables. All of the recyclables are commingled, so that you do not need to separate the items.
Here is a list of recyclable items:
- Aluminum food and beverage containers
- Glass food and beverage containers—brown, clear, or green
- Ferrous (Iron) cans
- PET plastic containers with the symbol #1—with screw tops only, without caps
- HDPE natural plastic containers with the symbol #2—narrow neck containers only (milk and water bottles)
- HDPE pigmented plastic containers with the symbol #2—narrow neck containers only, without caps (detergent, shampoo bottles, etc.)
- Plastics with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, #7—narrow and screw top containers
- Corrugated cardboard
- Cereal boxes
- Telephone books
- Printer paper
- Copier paper
- All other office paper without wax liners
Please DO NOT recycle the following:
- Propane bottles
- Rubber hoses
- Fluorescent lightbulbs
- Plastic flower pots
- Plastic kids’ toys
- Yard debris
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Food Waste
- Toner cartridges
- Food containers
- All Styrofoam products
Lehigh County no longer offers Household Hazardous Waste collection events. You can, however, contact them at (610)782-3000 for information on alternative safe disposal methods. They will also provide you with contact information for commercial entities who specialize in the safe disposal of these items for a fee.
The Borough of Emmaus contracts with Whitetail for refuse and recyclable collection. However, the Borough does not arrange for collection via dumpsters, which need to be arranged by the entity desiring dumpster service. If you obtain dumpster service from Whitetail, there is no need to file a form indicating that; however, if you use an Independent Hauler, which is any refuse contractor other than Whitetail, you need to complete the Commercial Entity Dumpster Form and file it with the Borough Manager’s Office.
Additionally, if you are over the age of 65 or disabled, and of a low income, you may qualify for a reduced refuse rate. If you believe that you may qualify for the discount, file the Reduced Rate Refuse Application with the Office of the Borough Manager, who will determine if you meet the qualifications.